Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Lot of Nerve

An old friend, remembering my childhood preoccupation of daydreaming up wild stories and playing out the details with our Barbie's, made a comment about me writing more, specifically a fictional, fantasy book. Now, I have been enjoying writing casually for this blog, and I can do business writing with the best of them, but to try to write a book? Is she nuts, or could I actually do it...put pen to paper and capture some of the visions of love, lust, and vampires that are (yes, still) running through my head?

Secretly, it's something I've wanted to try but never got up the nerve up to start...it was hard enough, as an insecure, straight-and-narrow type, to start Project Supermom, a place where me and my ideas are vulnerable and open to scrutiny. I got out a notebook anyway and, within days, had filled page after page with character descriptions and action narratives. That got me wondering what to do next...go to a creative writing class or lecture or join a writing group? Oh, to put myself out there, in an unfamiliar arena...just the thought sends me running to the kitchen for reinforcements...Hello, my name is The Project Auther, and I am a food-aholic...sheesh!

This uncomfortable feeling is telling me that I need to do this...I need to go "there", conquer my fear, try, and take this risk. I have begun to see that it is when I am most scared that I need to buckle down, rise to the challenge, and go for my dreams...or, at least put myself out there and try. When I do, even when there's room for improvement or when I stumble and make mistakes, I discover that I am capable of so much more than I ever really thought...that there is so much more to me than there seems! What kinds of things do you want to try but haven't gotten up the nerve to do? Are there things you dream of doing that would surprise people in your life but would soooo be an expression of who you are? Please share them with us...and, why not go for it?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I loved the blog posts.

    I follow you now.

    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I got married in Dec. 2007. We are working on 3 years. He is 29 and I am 23. (I have always thought of myself to be way older than I actually am) We got married my junior year in college. I graduated college in May 2009 and found out I was pregnant that July. We had just moved to a new town and I had not had time to start a career so we decided it would be best for me to be a stay at home mom. I love being able to stay home with my babies! I have recently felt like I needed to do something for myself (besides working out b/c that is the only me thing I did.) So I started my blog and I am loving every minute of what I am doing and learning. I too am trying to be a super mom check out my journey. www.ashandlewplus2.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost finished writing my first book! I just decided I was gonna do it one day and did. Now, I'm just in the editing stages. You can do it! I just committed an hour each day and finished it in 8 months. I'm your newest follower from MBC. Looking forward to reading more. Mine is http://www.nestingwithniall.blogspot.com. Stop by any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey there- i am following you back from

    http://havesippywilltravel.blogspot.com/

    i like your blog idea- we are supermoms!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to publish my book of poetry, and can understand your want and desire...but once you through in work, home, kids, husband...it's like publish a book? Yay, right. Hopefully one day we'll all take that big step from blogging to the printed page. Cute blog by the way...check me out:
    http://chocolatemomrants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, ladies! Thanks for the encouragement on the book! I am starting with a writers group and got kinda overwhelmed with the "proper" steps to do, before even writing...good and bad feedback. Kerry, 8-months??...wow!...almost sounded like 8 years from my group! I especially appreciate the Follows and am Following back...nice blogging to each of you!

    ReplyDelete