Monday, April 12, 2010

The Elephant In The Room

...no, not meaning you, my friend! I'm talking about that little piece of equipment that so harshly coughs up your current poundage...you know the one...it may be collecting dust in the corner or is buried under a pile of clothes, so that you don't have to face it. The scale! Ewww, the word alone is enough to fill us with dread, but the readings can send us in a downward spiral of self-loathing for the next several days, huh?!! So, how do we get out of having to feel uncomfortable? We avoid stepping on it...we hide it...or, worse yet, we play this little game of "I don't use a scale, I just judge where I'm at by my clothes size". Oh, avoidance and denial are such sweet bedfellows, when we just don't want to deal with our reality!

Know what you weigh! Pull out your scale and STEP ON IT! A number will appear...it is all yours...you own it, good or bad. Good or bad, acknowledge that that is where you're at...it is information that you can use, in your actions going forward. Write it down and keep it in plain site, as a reminder or motivator or baseline. Then, keep weighing in regularly...I'm talking weekly or biweekly, not annually! No need to tip-toe around a scale...it is just another tool in your arsenal of personal accountability. It offers another piece of information for you to work with is all!

2 comments:

  1. It took me awhile to realize that my children need to see that I care about myself. How can we expect them to have good self esteems if we don't? It all starts with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I think there's been too much advice about ditching the scale, and unfortunately, it's just another way for us not to face the truth. As for mums, it's really important to put ourselves first so we can take care of our family in the best way possible -- a message worth repeating time and time again. http://www.trishcardona.com/2010/05/weight-loss-goals-time-to-face-the-music/

    ReplyDelete